Thursday, December 17, 2009

I Will Blog


I think we learn at least something every day, whether we acknowledge it as a "lesson" or not. We learn little things about ourselves, about the people we love, about people in general, life in general, and so on. Sometimes it can be a huge life lesson. Sometimes it can just be funny or sad or one of those "Holy shit! How 'bout that!" moments. I think Oprah calls them "Ah Ha" moments.
Yesterday I learned about Blogging. I was on the phone with my sister, Laurel, who is 24, and she was telling me that she liked to visit blogs for interior design ideas for her house.
"Blogs?" I asked.
I had heard of them. My husband's best friend, Drew, has one called "Squirrels and Beer," which I'm going to have to check out, now that I know what blogs are. Also, isn't that movie about Julia Child about blogging and cooking?
My sister, who is very technologically advanced since she is a graphic designer, explained the concept to me. Apparently it's like having your own website where you can post anything you like and everyone can see it, that is, if they want to. Laurel likes to look at interior design blogs. She is so talented in that area that I asked her why she didn't have one. Her answer was "time." She simply doesn't have enough of it. Plus she's the type that would dive in head first, get swept away with it and add it to the list of things that stress her out.
I understand. Laurel works all the time, and her job requires her to be in front of a computer screen all day. Me, on the other hand... my life is at a stand still right now... I am almost 32 weeks pregnant with my first child, and my part-time job with a winery is extremely slow this time of year. My husband, Peyton, works all day in medical sales and my friends either work full time or have babies at home, which monopolize their time. I have time for blogging.
And so I will blog. I am not a writer. I don't have any extra special talents, such as interior design, that people will flock to my blog to read about. I have a degree in Elementary Education. I taught elementary school for 4 years. I could have blogged about that. I got married 2 and a half years ago, and survived the first year of marriage to an only child with flying colors and great stories. I could have blogged about that. (We're happy as ever, by the way.) I quit my teaching career and went to work for a winery doing sales. It was quite a career change! I could have blogged about that. I could have blogged about starting Tae Kwon Do classes 2 years ago, or getting pregnant 8 months ago (which made me have to quit Tae Kwon Do), or buying our first home 4 months ago.... wow. When I started thinking about all of the things I could have or would have blogged about, I realized what I would really be writing was what I learned through all of these things. Ask me about marriage, career changes, teaching young children, pregnancy, Tae Kwon Do, wine, or buying a house, and I can tell you what I've learned, and it's quite a lot!
I suppose I do have a talent for reflecting upon experiences and analyzing them, sometimes to a fault. I may not be a gifted writer, but certainly enjoy sharing what I've learned with other people. I have no followers so far, but I will ask my sister to read this. So I suppose I might have one.
I will blog about what I learn. I will share my "Holy Shit! How 'bout that!" moments with the world (or at least with my sister). I am 26 years old and about to start parenthood for the first time in the next month or so. I have a feeling that life lessons are coming. This should be interesting. Yesterday I learned about blogging.
Today I learned that mold can live behind the vanity in your bathroom without you knowing for months and months. My husband and I were having a new vanity put in our master bathroom this morning. We've been waiting on it for about 2 months. (It was supposed to be done in October.) When the contractor, who is a dear friend of ours, ripped the original out, we found a layer of mold covering the wall behind it. Gross. The drywall will have to be ripped out and replaced. Mold is dangerous. This will be done on Monday. It's Thursday. Until then, we should not use that bathroom.... but I am pregnant, and that is the bathroom next to my bed!!! I use that bathroom at least 8 times a night, and I am not exaggerating either. Every hour. I'm serious. I'm not going to be happy about having to walk to the other side of the house to pee at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 o'clock in the morning. Oh well, it must be done. I will have to make sure I count my baby's fingers and toes when he is born... hopefully this mold hasn't caused any problems with my sweet baby! I will ask my doctor. Then I can blog about it.
So: Blog. Mold. Oh, and expect extra expenses with any household project. That's another good one. I will remember these things.
Stef



1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you said shit... twice! Congrats on the new blog.

    ReplyDelete